1. Skin the tamarind pods, scraping off the peel with a paring knife.
2. Place the pulp in the bowl of a blender with the hot water. Let stand 10 minutes. Blend the mixture in short bursts at low speed until the seeds are free of pulp, 30 to 60 seconds.
3. Pour the tamarind mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl or pitcher, pressing hard with a wooden spoon to extract the juices, & scraping the bottom of the strainer with a rubber spatula. Set the tamarind water aside.
4. Return the seeds & pulp that remain in the strainer to the blender & blend with cold water & sugar. Strain this mixture into the tamarind water & chill.
5. Just before serving, season the nectar to taste, adding sugar if it's too sour or water if it's too strong. Shake or stir well before serving.
week in refrigerator. Freeze in ice cube trays for