1. Cut beef against the grain in 1/4-inch slices. Then pound paper-thin with flat side of a cleaver or bottom of a glass jar.
2. Mince scallion and ginger root and combine in a deep bowl with soy sauce and sherry. Add beef and toss gently. Let stand 1 to 1-1/2 hours, turning meat occasionally.
3. Drain meat well, discarding marinade. Wipe out bowl. Blot beef dry with paper toweling and return to bowl.
4. Mix cornstarch and egg white to make a batter. Add to beef and toss gently to coat. Meanwhile, heat oil.
5. Add beef a few slices at a time, and deep-fry until golden (1 to 2 minutes). Drain on paper toweling.
6. In a saucepan, heat remaining soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Pour over beef and serve hot. Variation: In step 6, instead of pouring heated sauce over the beef, serve it separately as a dip.
From <The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook>, Isbn 0-517-65870-4. Downloaded from Glen's Mm Recipe Archive, http://www. Erols. Com/hosey.