Method for frying main ingredients:
1. Heat 2 T oil then add minced garlic, ginger and mashed preserved soya beans (tau cheo).
2. When fragrant and brown, add turnips, carrots and bamboo shoots
3. When ingredients are semi-soft and wet with the gravy, add beansprouts and seasoning to your taste.
4. Fry till gravy has dried and ingredients are all soft.
Method for making rolls:
1. Microwave packet of spring roll pastry or pohpiah skins (Must read instructions on packet. Overheating makes pastry too crispy to roll!)
2. On 1 or 2 sheet(s) (depending on strength off the pastry to hold the filling) of pastry, place lettuce and spread thick soya sauce, chillie and garlic over lettuce (lettuce helps to keep pastry dry)
3. Place enough main ingredients on lettuce (too much would make this into "spring parcel" rather than spring roll)
4. Add garnishings
5. Use imagination and some dexterity to fold in edges of pastry and roll it.
Have fun rolling your pohpiah and watching others rolling their poh-piahs! You can eat it as a roll or as slices.